View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Depends. What specific functional or qualty attributes are you referring to, specifically?

BTW, let's not forget that using one foregoes the use of the other. You can still use Roon with a good network bridge if you like, and then just select a different input on your DAC when you want to listen to the Aurender. That's what I'll do if I end up getting an Aurender N200. All I have to do with my Lampizataor is press a button on the front panel to switch from Roon using a network bridge to using the Aurender with a S/PDIF input, for example. Easy-peasy.
Hi Stephen,

First of all, thank you for your articles in TAS and your posts here at AA on digital and streaming subjects.
I recently followed your recommendation to add Roon core running on my PC -> ethernet->fiber->opticalRendu->usb as source. I just recently picked up a used Shunyata Research Alpha USB cable from this forum, again, due to your recommendation.

I decided to take Roon route recently as I got the impression that Roon has much higher adoption vs. Aurender.
I am concerned if Aurender has sustain ability to do high quality application development - however this is just a conjecture on my part, not my own experience since I never own Aurender. Still, Aurender is attractive since it does not charge monthly subscription.

I am curious if you can contrast Roon vs. Aurender in these areas:
1. Application side - how seamless the application is in browsing local music vs. streaming service e.g. Qobuz, providing recommendations, saving playlist, bookmarking, etc.
2. Sound quality - music server running Roon core + opticalRendu (as Roon endpoint) vs. Aurender N100 or N200 (closer to opticalRendu path as far as pricing vs. N20).
3. How frequent does Aurender update its app? Any experience with Android version as I don't own any Apple device?
4. Many people may not have the luxury to run both, if you have to pick one, , which route would you pick?