Thread: Eagles
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
In the 40's towards the end of next week, so hope to get down if one of the days is dry. Something less than two hour's drive for us. We also enjoy the Forsythe Refuge, which <30min away, and Eastern Neck, which is quite a bit closer to you.

On our last visit an immature bald eagle grabbed a fish and flew to one of the lower limbs in a large tree about 30' from where we were sitting. He/she clamped the fish under its foot commenced to feed. Soon there was a line of four black vultures on the same limb about 6' further out. Slowly they would inch closer to the eagle. When they got too close he would squawk and ruffle his feathers and they would scurry back out to 6' and everything would start over. Most entertaining.

Rarely occurs to me to take pic's, but I'll take along my camera next trip. Or at least remember to use my phone.
I hope to make it up there soon...one of my best friends lives in Alexandria so we stage outta there, go up for the day and then come back. Thinking of hoteling up there the night before to avoid a 0300 wakeup call...

I'll have some more eagle shots to post later on today...