View Single Post
Old 01-23-2024, 06:06 PM

Hi everyone, I was going to start a new thread but I think this is the right place. I just got a carbon special and I've been watching John Hunter say that no, you should NOT try to decouple your rel sub from the floor. That you should start with placement in the corner and let the feet rest without spikes to take advantage of the floor resonance. I've been experimenting with my sub for a week now and I've come to the conclusion that I need to put it on spikes. I've been trying to dial it in with the rest of my main system. Started at 30hz and I've been going up in 10hx steps. I've settled somewhere between 60 and 80hz which surprised me, but I think I discovered that I like the feel and tone when it engages those frequencies as well. Volume can't go higher than 4 clicks though without seeming too loud or intense. It doesn't sound boomy per se, but just too loud, or as if I can hear the sub instead of it disappearing. I love precision when it comes to music and I've come to love super controlled tight bass. I'm thinking isolating the sub might let me increase volume a click or two without increasing intensity. I might be using the wrong terms here so my bad if I'm not being clear.

Just wondering what everyone's experiences are in isolating the carbon special. My room is carpet on a pad on top of plywood subfloor on wood floor joists. I was initially looking at some Orea Bordeaux isolators but now I'm thinking spikes (either individual or the aperta sub XL). Might just get both sets to see how it sounds. I'm still a beginner, so getting both spikes and pucks for testing might be good for me.