View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1967 View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am new to Shindo. I recently acquired a preowned Shindo Allegro 604s preamp. It really changed the way my system was singing and I enjoy it very much. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any information about this particular preamp. It is not a complex piece of equipment and I do not really need any manual, but still it would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction to where I can find some info about Allegro, technical data, years of production, goods, bads, etc. The preamp is far from new but is in very good condition. I noticed that tubes are GE and Mazda 12AX7. I am planning to replace them with Telefunken tubes. Would you recommend such upgrade? How can I find out which tubes were there initially?
Hi, The Allegro you currently own looks to be original, although it's tough to say what tubes were originally included in the unit at this point, as they may have been changed by prior owners (silly to do). Although, Shindo has included GE and Mazda in his products, so it possible they are original. I would simply leave them as is if they test fine.

Also, the Allegro you own is about 25-30 years old. It is not the current limited edition model being produced now, as referred to on my website. The current model does, however, use vintage chassis. That is where the similarity starts and stops. The circuit on the current model is completely different.

-Matt