View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The Altaira hubs are approximately $3K USD. The Altaira hubs are also fairly small and designed such that you can simply place them on top of a component already in the rack. You don't need a dedicated shelf or space for them.

As shown here: one of my SG hubs, solely dedicated to the "source" components, my Lumin P1 and EAR phono stage, sits on top of the Lumin P1. The source components are the only components connected to this specific SG hub Altaira.

The other Altaira, on the bottom shelf, just sits on top of the Constellation Inspiration integrated amp, so it doesn't require any additional rack shelf, either. The Inspiration integrated amp is the only component connected to this specifc SG Altaira. Because the Inspiration is fully dual-mono, I have two separate pairs of L/R grouding cables for unused input ports (a pair of unused RCAs and a pair of XLRs) connected to independent zones on this Altaira, for a total of four cables in all. Each Altaira SG hub is connected to a GP-NR terminal on my Everest power distributor with an Omega CGC ground cable.

I would not make that assumption if I were you.

I would actually go down on the specification of the preamp/amp or integrated and put those funds to an Altaira if I had to allocate those funds one way or the other. That's how foundational Altaira is, in my experience.

Let's consider a real world example: since I'm fan of integrated amps, let's say you've got $9K to spend on an integrated amp, and you decide to invest in a Hegel H590 integrated amp. A really nice integrated amp at a price point that many folks in our hobby could afford and would consider. So: 1) you could put your $9K into a Hegel H590, or 2) you could spend $6k on a Hegel H390 and use the remaining $3K to purchase an Altaira CG hub. And, if I were considering these two choices, that's exactly what I would do, choose "Door #2".

Here's why: a lot of folks (most, probably), think that the "noise" rides "down low", at the bottom of the "signal + noise" component of the source "information" being amplfied. This is not true: the noise actually rides "on top" of the signal...as such, its deteriorates and degrades the integrity of signal itself. As shown here with a digital signal source.

This is reality...., here's a graphic depicting 2 and 5 noise components riding on top of the analog voltage square wave that actually comprises a digital signal (BTW there are NO 0's and 1's, that is only how the original digital information is encoded, but I digress).

So, to my mind, why would I spend that extra $3K on the H590 only to have it amplify all the noise (which we hear as "grit, grain, grunge, hash", etc.) that is still there, mind you, BETTER than the H390? When, alternatively, I could buy an H390 AND an Altaira and have it eliminate the "grit, grain, grunge, hash" up front, and thus allowing the less-expensive H390 amplify a much quieter, much cleaner, more accurate, and truer-to-the-recording signal?

Which would you rather listen to?

To my reasoning, that's a simple choice.

Thanks for the insight. Yes it is not crazy expensive, so I could be
interested. I have one tuner that is not hooked up and it may give up its
place in the rack. Real state is at a premium.

After watching a couple of videos I can see the benefit. The preamps and
the amp are the immediate targets, but the some of the sources as well.

Now, I need to do more research on the components to see what is likely
to be grounded and what not. Some have a ground screw, others nothing.
In one of the Shunyata videos I heard that there would be a database
to guide which components were candidates for chassis grounding and
which ones for signal grounding, but I didn't find it. That could be quite
useful.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.