View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
Charles ... you are correct about the length of the listening session. Seems you assumed I didn’t spend all day there. And I never said the C1100 was chopped liver. That said I’ve never really connected with it like I did older generation macs but that’s just my preference and just because I don’t care for it doesn’t mean I’m wrong or something is wrong with the setup. I just don’t care for it. Period. Doesn’t mean it’s not great. Many don’t like my current preamp which is the BAT Rex II but it does it for me and I couldn’t care less who likes it or not. At any rate ... I was simply sharing my observations and I’m sorry if my lack of enthusiasm for the C1100 was offensive in any way. Hopefully we can all still be friends! Peace and joy brother.

George
George, I'm not upset in the least. I'm fairly well known by my dealer, to say the least. I would never dream of tying up their main listening room for 8-10 hours and handling all that expensive equipment or tying up a technician. I don't believe I have ever listened to anything more than 10-15 minutes and then out of curiosity. I know better than to form conclusions based on a dealer showroom.

What you did was take one snapshot when what is needed is 100 photographs to form a valid conclusion that means anything, to draw an analogy.

I would like to comment on the sound of McIntosh tube equipment. Mac tubes sound very similar to Mac SS. The difference is subtle, not striking.

When the C-1000 was reviewed in Stereophile, one of the most memorable conclusions was to that effect.

Also, Mac autoformer amps sound tubey to some extent.

AR used to in times past make SS gear, lots of it. It never caught on. Mac has been making tube gear far longer than AR. While this in and of itself doesn't mean Mac superior to AR, Mac tube technology goes back far longer than does AR and certainly is competitive with AR today. Mac is not intimidated in the least by AR or awed by AR.

To some extent AR digital is liken to old AR SS. Only AR aficionados would consider it.

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 02-12-2020 at 11:22 PM.