View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 08:49 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Electrical Interference Solution

Is electrical interference a controversial subject?

In my case, no it actually makes sense to me on many levels. I am not an electrical engineer, scientist or the like, but I do like the hobby of learning and squeezing out more performance. I am from the mindset there is a lot of good gear out there, and it’s performance can be accelerated by focusing on the areas of power, room and isolation, versus the self-reasoning that better sound has to come from different equipment which opens up the door of, “is it better, or is it different”.

This game of noise is all about clean, quiet power drawn into our gear in order for high fidelity to sing its tune to draw you deeper into your favorite music.

Interestingly enough at the recent RMAF, I came across Bill Stierhout, and his company Coherence Systems, and its brand, ADD-Powr that signifies algorithm digital defined power.

As he was speaking about his new line of products, I mentioned that his theory and application sounded very similar to the Nordost QRT line, he told me it does because he was the founder of Quantum Products, the same company that incorporated its engineering prowess into the audio cable company, Nordost. While there is little to no doubt at RMAF 2019 all the top rooms had one common denominator, Nordost; using its cables and the QRT line. While I’m passionate about Nordost, it’s stupid expensive for most Audiophiles, well past diminishing returns, but I couldn’t help myself, drank the Kool Aid purchasing much of its Reference and QRT products, in my case it does perform, and very well, but anyway…

Bill agreed to send me a Symphony Pro, an ElectraClear and a guarantee his devices will work or I could send it back, no questions asked. You can certainly go higher up the food chain within his line, but I thought these two pieces would be good place to start as I wanted to be sure on what these items were capable of. Sorry, pictures are not the best:

IMG_2941.jpg
IMG_2971.jpg

First, there is no audio jewelry here, these are simply constructed units packed with benefits to improve the sound using frequency generators, harmonics and microprocessors that manage algorithms. Electra Clear is a simple plug in device that actually adds harmonics (pulsed/clocked signals) to the audio signal, a tone control through the power line if you will. There is no filter or conditioner, the byproduct of this process is that it also contributes to mitigating EMI and RF signals.

Symphony Pro is a small box that can be placed just about anywhere and is fed with AC power and houses inductor coils connected in series to a frequency generator controlled by a microprocessor performing algorithms that essentially pulses low frequency harmonic content onto the line, similar but slightly different to Electra Clear. The AC line becomes re-referenced / re-biased with low frequency harmonics. The inductor coils act as antennas to emit and broadcast a low frequency electrical field. The signal is also coupled to*a 12’ plug in antenna wire. The driving low frequency wave and its Fourier harmonics resonate with the audio signals within proximity (~30' diameter) of its location. This means that tonal energy will be imparted to whatever audio signals are encompassed by this field.

Bill said it will bring .5 to 1.O dB or more of energy into the system - he was right; by flicking Symphony Pros small toggle power switch on and off and waiting a few seconds, it was very clear to hear the volume change, its literally controlling the noise making the music more audible, lively and toe tapping enjoyable. While volume was gained from removing noise and interference, it also brought about a sense of realism with a more natural sense of timbre, a lower noise floor, and a double black back round. The music just played so much better, no matter what I played. One of my favorites is Stairway to Heaven by Rodrigo and Gabriela; the resonance and decay of the acoustic strings and blending of the chords never sounded better. When I play Flight of the Cosmic Hippo by Bela Fleck a great song to test your low end has more authority and control and the symbols more in line on how they should sound live and the Symphony and Electra complimented the Beatles 50th anniversary release of Abbey Road making it simply sound amazing, especially the studio cuts; the band is center imaged, the music has a slight amount more of punch, liveliness with the Fab Four’s voices having very clear imaging and darkness, my music room appears to be the new Abbey Studios right in front of me.

While not inexpensive, but well worth the price of admission in comparison to all I have done, it’s a no brainer. The Symphony Pro lists for $750.00, and the Electra for $75.00 with options of moving up the line in performance, coverage and cost.

Last, I believe in power cables, and Bill holds this opinion as well and said it wouldn’t hurt but stopped there. While not mandatory, I couldn’t help myself after all the recent talk of Shunyata’s new lines and ordered the economical Venom 14, C5 cable, and after a few hours of listening, it’s not coming out.

Bill no doubt understands power and I believe his efforts with ADD-Powr have paid off—at least in terms of the product itself. How audiophiles will react is something I can't predict but I think many will react as I did and come to see these are an indispensable addition to their hi-fi systems. It has certainly change how I now listen to my system and they are not going back. If it makes sense, then give it a try, you have nothing to lose and add some cumulative points to your sound.