View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 PM

DSi200: Warmish and powerful amp+Wilsons+bright room=very satisfying.

DSi200 seems a very good fit with a pair of Wilson Soph3s in a brightish room. It warms things up nicely. Imaging is excellent and I sense that the DSi200 is giving me all of the Soph3's bass extension. My kids use this amp. It's bombproof and it's staying. Oh, and it plays loud through the Soph3s. My kids usually watch TV at a volume level of 2. I listen to music at 6. And I play it into the kitchen at 12 (out of 99). So I can see how some would consider a VSi60 for the Sophs. The DSi200 will be a keeper for us. And doesn't it just pair so nicely to the DAC8 and PH6? ;-)

DS450: Warmish class D amp+Big Wilsons+big quiet room=not as satisfying.

The DS450 is of a similar character, warm. Some say it's a bit dark. The room I have it in is very large and quiet, it's anti-bright. So that may be accentuating the amp's dark character. And is it me? I'm afraid the amp seems to get sucked out in the deep bass at higher volume levels. Nothing of the kind is evident with the smaller integrated across the house.

I'm going to replace the DS450 with a Boulder 1060. I adore the 860 in our bedroom. It's potent and precise and smooth, with just the slightest, nicest warmth (after a lengthy burn in). Yes the Boulder 1060 is 300WPC into 8 ohms. But the MAXX3s are rated at 3.9 ohms. The DS450 gives peak power of 550W into 4 ohms. The Boulder 1060 gives 700W peak into 4 ohms. This is higher current class A/B type performance vs. the efficient class D DS450. And power aside, the Boulder generates 1/1000 the distortion.

My guess is the DS450 is an amazing amp. But the MAXX3s may be showing off its rough edges.