View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Found what looks like a good deal on a quad of them. Said to be NOS and test strong.

What do you think the max output will be on a PSE? Around 8 wpc? With 6V6 it is around 11-12 wpc.
They arrived looking like they had been shipped from the factory. Perfect condition, boxes in good shape but aged. Seller claimed they were NOS, so never used except for being tested.

Tested them again and they had like new readings. Popped them in and slowly turned up the volume. Very quiet. Also substituted in a 5Y3GT rectifier for my 274B.

I've played them for 4 hours now. As they may be NOS, I guess I need to break them in. Seems like an odd thing to have to do with tubes which were likely manufactured in the 1940s.

First impression is that they are a bit forward in the midrange, with strings, horns and vocals having a bit of emphasis. At least in my system. The same has always been true of both of my Inspire amps running 6V6s. Maybe this will change as I burn them in. Deep bass was decent & pleasant if not as tight.

Whereas my "big" power tubes: KT66, KT88, KT120, KT150 sound very neutral, open, big soundstage, well defined bass.

I noticed that after playing for 3 hours that my output transformers were only warm to the touch, not nearly as hot as they get with my "big" tubes.