View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 11:35 PM

Let me tell you about my new favorite combo... The GE 6bg6ga with a Raytheon 6f8g is magic! It is a big, open sound but the mids to lows are out of this world. Rock solid bass. The openness gives a great sense of space. There is also a kind of slight, I dunno, coppery? sound to it. A warmish, slightly metallic sound that makes string instruments really come alive. It's a lively, dynamic sound that is super big and detailed. I will say that I almost gave up on this tube. I must have gone through 5 input tubes looking for something that sounded good. Most sounded dry. The Tungsol 6c8g gave a super big and airy sound. So much so it was almost dizzying. The Raytheon clicked immediately, it is a magic combo in my system.

I think both of these tubes have octal equivalents. The Raytheon 6f8g is probably the same as the Raytheon ladder plate 6sn7. The GE 6bg6ga I have looks like it's the same as the GE 6l6gb. There is another GE 6bg6ga that looks like it has the guts of the GE 6l6gc. but I haven't tried those yet. I haven't checked but it wouldn't surprise me if the octal equivalents cost more. I'm a cheapskate so I don't mind using adapters.

Edit: The Raytheon 6f8g tube I love apparently has the T plates. I think there is an equivalent 6sn7. I also have some Raytheon 6f8g with really flat plates. I've been told that they are relabeled RCA tubes.

Last edited by Isaacc7; 05-28-2022 at 11:47 PM. Reason: More inför on plate type