View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmbear View Post
so can anyone tell me how they like the lsr 6332 ? i want to run them as L R and center i have tons of power available and more than capable subs . i have a treated room and run dynaudio speakers now . they sound good but lack spl dynamics . i have tried some pro speakers and they lack alot compared to the dyns . the 6332 seem like a dream on paper . how is the off axis ? the dyns suck you haven to be dead center and thats not good for the theater part . i listen to alot of music also .i cant find any way local to listen to a set (chicago land) .
smmbear.......First, welcome to Audio Aficionado. Glad you found us.

I am using two JBL LSR 6332 mid field monitors in my studio/home theater. I originally used the speakers strictly as monitors to auditioning mixes of live recorded music, but now use them for the dual purpose of monitor speakers and as left and right front channel speakers in a home theater set up. I use a SpeakOn patch bay in the studio control room that lets me quickly move the speaker's inputs to other amplifiers in the control room and studio so I can use them for whatever purpose is needed at a given moment.

How do they sound? Fantastic is the first word that comes to my mind. The are a bass refelx, 3-way speakers using JBL's Advanced Linear Spatial Reference design that ensures flatter response across a wide listening area. The three drivers are all from JBL's pro line, not the home line, and can handle goobs of power, and produce serious sound pressure levels. I have routinely pumped 350 watt peaks into them. They sound just as sweet and clean with that kind of power as they do with 50 watt peaks, just a damn sight louder.

The JBL LSR series speakers were designed to fill recording studio needs for wide frequency respose, and wide dispersion, capable of high sound pressure levels when required, yet still sound natural, and neutral at lower levels. They are pro monitors, but not like the speakers that JBL and other manufacturers produce for live sound reinforcement. Those type of speakers aren't designed for close monitor locations, or full frequency response since live sound is generally always done with biamplification using seperate high and low frequency drivers. This is probably why your experiments with other professional speakers have been less than rewarding.

I can tell you from my own personal experiences with a long line of JBL speakers over more years than I care to brag about, the LSR series is excellent, sounds spectaular on music and sound tracks, and is built to standards that allow real world abuse without a hiccup. My entire 5.1 surround sound system is JBL LSR series speakers. Trust me, they put you right in the middle of the action.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A