Thread: MT10 trade in?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 05:29 PM
Retired

Based on your description of yourself and knowledge level, I would recommend the Technics 'Grand Class' SL-1200 turntable/tonearm system. It is direct-drive (something you generally have to pay many $thousands more for from VPI or others) and consistently receives excellent reviews, like this one from Michael Fremer, who is generally considered one of the best when it comes to analog.
https://www.analogplanet.com/content...200g-turntable
The Technics essentially takes no set-up and has the advantage of changeable headshells, which allows for easy changing of cartridges should you decide you might want a mono-cartridge or both an MM & MC cartridge, all of which your MA12000 can handle.
You've not mentioned a budget for either the TT/TA or cartridge. The Technics starts at about $1700 and goes up to about $18,000, depending on the model you select.
Same with cartridges. To my ears, good ones start arount $750 and go to well over $10,000. Some really excellent ones available all thru the range. Personally, I lean towards Ortofon as they provide excellent detail while not being 'etched' in their presentation. I'm very fond of the Cadenza Black and one can go up to the Winfeld or down to the Bronze for a bit more/less $$. But, there are a bunch of truly excellent carts all thru the price range. Even if you picked the one that "looks" best to your eye in the $2500 +/- $1000 range you would likely be very pleased with what you hear.
There is a great deal of information on analog set-up and use on the internet. Fremer's "Analog Planet" is one and the Vinyl Engine another. Don't need to get carried away to start. Just understanding the proper set-up and operation of a cartridge is an excellent beginning.

BTW - SME was sold to someone in India recently and is no longer offering tonearms separately from their turntables. If you find an SME tonearm it will either be used or leftover stock.

Also, where are you located? There are several folks around the country who would, on a fee basis, set up your TT and align the cartridge while teaching you the in's & out's of same (should you wish) while doing so. There may be one in your area of the world.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-20-2021 at 05:48 PM.