View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 04:45 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapo View Post
A test will depend on whether I trade in my Premium power cords or sell them myself. I like the Premium power cord, but the Reference is the most economical cable upgrade I can make. The jump from Ultra to Reference in IC or speaker cable is too much for me. I started with Plus and Super, and I think they are great cables. For my system, Ultra, which I bought used when great deal came up, seems to be the point of diminishing return. My system gives me great joy whether it’s playing background music or concert level 😁!! Your gear is certainly pretty fine!
I've just green-lighted the purchase of two pair of Super for my SACD and BD players. My makeshift audition was enough to convince me. Overall, the Super is more dynamic, but it and the Plus sound pretty similar otherwise. I wonder how the sound will change once I put the Super I have now (Gen 5) back on the pre/power connection and have the new Supers (Gen 6) on their respective components.

I may have created a problem too, in that I can be completist, and there will be three sources (tuner, turntable, laserdisc) without Super. The MusicLink Plus I used for my auditioning came off the LD player; Kimber Hero is on the tuner, where I quite like it; and the turntable has the tonearm cables from the SME arm. I wonder if Transparent's adapter works with an SME 309 tonearm connection? I CANNOT afford to go there now. Actually, the Hero and the Plus are also quite similar, to my ears, with the Plus just a tad smoother on top. If the new Supers are dramatically better than the Hero, I'll have a psychological problem to deal with.

I also hope this doesn't damage my hunt for a new mattress. The IC money would have gone toward that.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks