View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
The effect of a single Aperture is easy to hear. If you have one each at the first reflection points, when your budget allows I suggest trying just one in the center of your front wall or one behind each speaker before introducing other brands.

What I've learned is it is wise to go slow in adding acoustic treatments because it is so easy to over damp a room. Asking yourself what you want your system to sound like can help in assessing acoustic treatment.
This is great advice. I was fortunate to have friends nearby who could bring over Aperture panels and a few stacks of ASC isothermal tube traps. I was using GIK traps at the time.

A stack of the bigger isothermal tube traps in the front corners brought a tremendous improvement. These improved treble range clarity, dynamics, imaging and sound staging. Adding another pair of tube trap stacks just outside my speakers but against the wall brought another huge improvement. The Apertures complimented the traps exceptionally well. I ended up with one Aperture behind my audio rack, but plan to add one behind me, and then a pair on the side walls. Whereas the tube traps improved the purity of sound coming to my ears, the Apertures seemed to make walls disappear by extending the soundstage beyond the walls. A friend also combines both products and it was so wild to close your eyes and listen there as his walls and system completely vanished. It was jarring to open my eyes and find myself in a room much smaller than the room I had been transported to.

As far as my GIK traps, I had to get most of them out of my room. They reduced the benefits of the tube traps + Apertures if used anywhere in my field of view. A few GIK remain behind me where they are still beneficial.

9EE9CB03-E645-4660-9B02-2E6254C9EAAE.jpeg
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Last edited by kennyb123; 12-06-2020 at 03:55 PM.