View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 06:49 PM
Go Dawgs

Gotta plug the Momentum HD here only because of direct personal experience.....not only that but was able to directly compare the C2300 since that was what I had as well. Suffice to say, the S250 was quite the upgrade from my McIntosh MC402, but there seemed to be something missing. Not only that, I had quite a bit of noise coming from my preamp that was passed on to the S250. My dealer even spoke to Bill McKiegan about the issue and he speculated that it was some sort of mismatch between the tube pre and the S250. My dealer brought over a Progression preamp for a weekend to troubleshoot the problem as well as to compare the sound quality. Well, it wasn't even close, as soon as the preamp went in, it was like looking a a vivid, colorful picture rather than a 2D black and white pic. The extraneous electronic noise and hiss I was getting disappeared immediately and was replaced by a jet black background. I know that the Momentum HD may have to wait awhile for you, but the sooner you get there, the less upgrading and losing money on the secondary market you have to worry about.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3