View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
UNSOLICITED ADVICE FROM AN INVETERATE UP-GRADER WHO HAS QUIT!

After years and years of succumbing to my own curiosity, I have, at long last, decided that "enough is enough" and, to help me with my "sitting still" stance, I collected all the "rave reviews" on the stuff that I own, and when a bug bites, I just read over the original reviews to remind myself why I have what I have.

For example, you seem determined to do something about your speakers. At one point along my trek, I owned a pair of Mirage M-3si speakers and they are one of the ones that I wished for a long, long time, that I hadn't let go.

To that end, I just read again the Stereophile review on your Mirages from Nov 3, 1992, and got so excited that I'd probably buy again. This guy, Lemco, really loved the things. (And, as, I remember, I did too).

Mirage M-3si loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

You have great stuff . . . just be sure you are really improving things by making changes.

Hold your breath and count to 6 million or something!!
Nice photo!

I saw your Oppo 105 thread and could really identify with the "fixed income" line. I'm still working, but in a sense I'm on a fixed income also (no raise in several years, either).

I re-read the Mirage review a while back when I first started considering a change; thanks for the reminder. I should read it again. I had decided to leave the Mirages alone, but the exploration of alternatives idea came back. I never answered the philosophical question underneath it all, either. As for the 5Hz deeper bass the Bryston Model Ts would provide over the Mirages, I don't know how significant that is. I finally recycled the magazine with the PRO-111 review a short while ago. But that's so burned into my memory it's not an issue.

I'm certain the turntable and tuner changes would be improvements. Possibly the interconnects. Any speaker change would make a difference; whether it's an improvement would depend. The rest I'm not sure of.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks