View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisVFR14 View Post
I'm slowly trying to put my system together and have arrived at the power stage. Any thought on the use of a regenerator vs a PC would be very helpful. Benefits of one over the other would also be great. Thanks everyone in advance
Regeneration vs. conditioning has a lot to do with the power you have coming in from your utility. Mine is very good, because I live in a remote area. far from industry and neighbors. I share my utility transformer with no one. My nearest neighbor is a mile away. Thus the major noise factor is from within my own home, and within the system; that is no small issue. Regeneration will isolate my system from incoming noise on the AC line, but that is not ideal for amplifiers which can put a high current demand on the conditioner/regenerator. I have 3 dedicated circuits, 1 for the preamp and source gear.The other two are for the mono blocks, which are plugged in directly, and 3 Typhons, one for each circuit. Additionally, a Triton for power distribution to everything but the amps. Sigma Digital PCs to the digital gear to prevent back feeding digital hash to the preamp.

Consequently, the system is extremely quiet. The noise floor is exceptionally low. The music flows from a dead quiet stage, and nome of the subtle telltale signs of dirty power. I own 2 regenerators, but have chosen not to use them here. If I had crappy incoming AC, or voltage that widely varied, I might do otherwise, but would never power my amps with a regenerator.

IMO, Shunyata's passive approach is superior in my situation. YMMV.

Last edited by MtnHam; 05-06-2015 at 10:48 PM.