View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 03:49 PM

Thumbs up New Bricasti M-21 Platinum in the house!

New Bricasti owner here. I am excited for a couple of reasons. First, I have been using a PS Audio DirectSream Sr. DAC for nine years. I have upgraded the firmware when available and was happy with it. Realizing that PS Audio had retired my model and was no longer providing any updates to it, I knew it was time to start looking for a new DAC.

I have a friend who lives nearby and he writes audio reviews on the side. He was reviewing three DAC's at various price points - the new PS Audio DirectStream MK II(list price $7995), the T+A SD 3100 HV(list price $36,000) and the Bricasti M-21 Platinum(list price $19,000). The premise of his pending article is whether the price differences are justified based on the sonics of each unit. I got to listen to each unit at his home on his excellent system. The DirectStream MK II was impressive, given the price. The T+A model was visually impressive and the build quality is incredible. It certainly sounded better than the DirectStream DAC. By comparison, the DirectStream sounded a bit sterile. But at more than 4x the price, T+A didn't justify the delta. Where things got interesting was with the M-21 DAC. The Platinum version is stunning and I highly recommend it over the standard model. The sound was fantastic. I thought it sounded as good as the T+A, but for much less. I thought it had warmth, a certain naturalness in its presentation that the DirectStream lacked. Of course, for more than double the cost, it should.

The real test was that my friend brought over the DirectStream and M-21 for me to audition in my home. I thought if it was close, I would opt for the DirectStream. The savings is always a good thing. The bonus is that I was able to compare these DAC's to my existing DirectStream Sr. The new model sounded better than my old DAC. I was fairly impressed - highs seemed more natural, mids were warmer and bass was a bit tighter. I am not sure imaging was any better, but there were enough positives to be open minded to the possibility of upgrading and staying with PS Audio. One negative is that the display on the new unit is much smaller than the unit it replaces and lacks the visual impact that most audiophiles like to have. It should look and sound great. This is some sort of minimalist approach and left me wanting for more.

Enter the M-21 Platinum. All of the benefits I heard at my friends house were present on my system. I was hearing things on songs I know well that I had not heard before. There wasn't anything that didn't improve. Bass(not as boomy but plenty of punch), mids, highs, and the sound stage were much better. To sum it up, it just sounded more natural, more analogue. My friend and I were in complete agreement - if you can swing the modest increase in price of the M-21 over the Direct Stream MKII, you should go for it! The next morning, I had placed an order with Ivan for the M-21. The bonus is that I am the first owner with the new multi-color display! As Bricasti M-21 owners know, the model previously featured a red LED display, which in my opinion, was a bit old school. The new display is sleek and modern. I have attached a photo. Please note that the polished chrome casework reflects the background, so things look a bit deceiving. Trust me, in person, it looks fantastic.

I need to call out Ivan for his excellent customer support. I have dealt with Ivan for years and he gave me a great price and kept me updated on the shipping status. Ivan sets the gold standard for the support he provides - no one is better. This may be the last DAC I ever purchase - at least that is what I told my wife.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A5E47F41-8BA4-47D7-A629-7185078B2CB8.jpeg (282.7 KB, 106 views)
Bryston 28B Cubed Monoblock amps with Sound Anchor stands, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bryston SP3 Processor, JL Audio CR-1 Sub Crossover, PS Audio P15 with Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bricasti M-21 Platinum DAC, PS Audio Perfectwave Transport, Aurender N10 music server/streamer with Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Nordstrom Heimdall 2 Ethernet cable and RevOpod footers, TAD CR-1(mains) with Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bryson 9B3 Surround Amplifier, Sonus Faber Cremona M (center), Diva Swans (surrounds), (2) JL Audio F113 subs with RevOpod footers and granite bases, Oppo 95, Wireworld Gold Eclipse speaker cables, Wireworld Platinum interconnects and Wireworld Silver and Platinum Electra 7 power cables, Furutech Flux 50 in-line power filters, (6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, Shunyata outlets, Nordost QRT QKORE3 and QKORE6 Grounding Units, ADD-Pwr Sorcer X4 and various GK Acoustics acoustic panels.

Last edited by Masterlu; 03-27-2023 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Enlarge and embed photo