View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
"I'm not a big fan of deviating from the stock Shindo tubes, but maybe a different brand of 300b will put your mind at ease. As to high maintenance, tube gear is like car ownership. Care in use and regular maintenance guarantees a long life. Not paying attention to important details and adopting a plug and play attitude leads to problems. Not saying that was the case here, of course, it's simply worth pointing out that owning expensive handmade tube based audio equipment is not a "turn it on and leave it alone" situation. It's a relationship. A 2 way street." Kev313- With regard to your regular maintenance statement, is it basically biasing the amp regularly in this case? Cheers -Don
No. I simply mean it isn't a Denon receiver. We, consumers, generally, are used to a certain amount of convenience with modern products which is honestly just a combination of intended product obsolescence and the concurrent development of negligence on the part of the buyer. Why take care of my electronics? They'll be obsolete in 5 years. Hand built tube gear can last indefinitely if properly cared for. But consumers of such items should have a general understanding of how they operate, how to correctly use their gear, and what to avoid doing / warning signs. Note that this is a general statement and isn't meant to apply to the OP.