Thread: Taylor Swift
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 02:53 PM

Default Taylor Swift

I just had to listen to the new Taylor Swift album that supposedly broke records by capturing all of the Top 10 spots on Billboard's Hot 100. Qobuz has it in hi-res (24/48) and I really wanted to like it.

Musically, I just don't get this record. It is purely mechanical and manufactured. There are a few interesting lyrics in there but the robotic production limits the feeling and passion. It's hard for me to understand how anyone could record something like this without wanting to bring some real instruments into the room. Even just some real drums would probably help this.

Of course this is all a sign that I'm old and disconnected from what's happening. Perhaps it's inevitable.

Oh yea, it's compressed like crazy. Surprise, surprise.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.