Thread: Ref 6SE
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post
I read the Stereophile review of the ARC 6SE. It is generally very positive although there is not a lot of comparison directly with the ARC 6. Some of the review was a bit hard to interpret as the sound quality seemed to be greatly influenced by which footer or rack was used.

Here's my take on the new 6SE:
I got both my upgraded 6SE and Phono 3SE back from ARC recently. A pleasant surprise was that the upgrades included a thicker 0.236 inch poly top cover which they say is much less prone to warping. It has a nicely finished beveled edge and sits slightly higher than the side panels.

It's a bit early to fully assess the changes in sound quality but what I hear so far, I like. In particular, the 6SE's bottom end seems to have more punch and "drive" for lack of a better term. Vocals seem also more fleshed out, the soundstage is about the same width but "denser." I found the ARC 6 a bit more laid back. It's somewhat harder to distinguish what improvements I hear with the 3SE phono stage as I cannot separate it from changes heard with the 6SE. Overall, IMO, the upgrade investment was worthwhile.
The Ref6SE will get better and better as you put some hours on it.

That review was awful. I have a lot to say about it, but I'll try to be brief.

It sounds "hurried", and JVS was all over the map talking about footers and racks and power cords. He also tried to turn it into some kind of lesson in psychology, talking about what makes us happy. By the end of the article, I wasn't sure if he liked it or not, so I guess that means "not".

Definitely not my idea of a well thought out and reasoned review.