View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
To answer your questions in order: The "disc clamp" that clamps the label side of the CD in the transport snapped completely off as the disc was spinning, jamming the mechanism & causing ancillary damage to the gears & other mechanical components of the transport. It wasn't pretty! There was nothing unusual about the CD I was playing, & I have been scrupulous about ensuring that every disc I play is in immaculate condition, so I am at a loss as to why this happened. I purchased the player in 2010, but it was a 2008 model.

If the DCS, MSB & EMM Labs players had been within my budget, I definitely would have considered them before the Marantz, & possibly the Esoteric. These days there are slim pickings for SACD players between $3,500 & $!3,000...

As for the Modwright mods, I have reached the (gasp!) age where reliability, low-maintenance, set-it-&-forget-it has to come first, over absolute sound quality. That is why I transitioned from an all-tube system to what I have now. All too often, I would forget to turn my tubed gear off after a listening session, sometimes returning from a week-long trip only to find it was still on, burning through the tubes & electricity. So a tubed 2nd-hand mod of an out-of-print model is the wrong road for me, no matter how good it sounds...

Yes, I completely agree that the DAC alone is no indicator of the sound quality of a player. And some components of all kinds possess a "magic" that allows them to transcend their age. But for most high-end companies, when comparing apples-to-apples, the DACs/players being made now, with newer, more powerful & sophisticated chip sets, are better than their predecessors.

As to the lack of a grounding pin in the Marantz units, I, too, wonder why. Neither their literature, or reviews, make any mention of it. Are they trying to avoid ground loops? Did the units sound worse when grounded? I can't imagine that omitting it saves them much money. But as to using aftermarket cords, the IEC socket is the standard 15-amp shape & size - it's just missing the ground pin. Any aftermarket cord should work just fine in terms of fitting the socket & supplying juice to the player. The only question is whether the sonic "sauce" of any particular cord would be compromised by the lack of the ground connection at the player end. I just started a new thread in the Shunyata forum to ask that question, as that is the PC I am currently using. I'll ask Shunyata the question by phone, if they don't answer it in the thread. Since the Denali power conditioner has a "Chasis Grounding System" built-in, I'll eventually run a wire to it from the Marantz & see what I think...

SOTA Cosmos TT (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel), SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Marantz SA-10 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck
Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage
Pass Labs XP-30 (SS) & Hovland HP-100 (tube) preamps
Edge G8+ laser-biased monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks
Rockport Atria & Infinity IRS Beta Speakers
Audience AU24 SX Phono cable, MIT Shotgun ICs, Shunyata Alpha SCs
Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables for Pass XP-30
Shunyata Denali 6000T power conditioner (on BBA platform), Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, & Venom HC PCs. Also PS8 & 2 Venom Defenders.
Audio Magic Ultimate SHD Bees Wax Fuse, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses
Klaudio LP200 ultrasonic RCM
I'm using all Shunyata Sigma power cables for all my components (Classe Omega Reference monoblock amps, Classe Omega Reference Mk iii linestage preamp, Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player) but all my components have three way prong AC inlets on them, unlike the Marantz. The Marantz only has two way prong AC inlet, so aftermarkets power cables with three prong female connector wouldn't fit into the two way prong AC inlet on the Marantz.
I'm using a 20 amp Shunyata Sigma power cable from my Shunyata Hydra power conditioner/distributor to the wall outlet.

IMO all Marantz Reference series products should have three way prong AC inlets on them. Even cheap Oppo players all have three way prong AC inlet on them. Even the lower end Oppo 203 ($600 original retail) has three way prong AC inlet.

I noticed you have the Classe M-700 monoblocks. I've never heard of the M-700 monoblock amps before. I know there are CAM-600 monoblocks, CAM-300, CAM-400, CAM-500, CAM-200 monoblocks but wasn't aware of the M-700 monoblocks. Did you mean the CAM-600 (M-600) monoblocks?
I had the Classe CAM-600 monoblocks before but have since upgraded to the Classe Omega Reference monoblocks and the Omega Reference are clear step up sound quality wise from the CAM-600 or any Classe Delta series amps with the exception of the new Delta Mono & Delta Stereo amps that were recently released. I've heard the new Delta Mono amps paired with their matching new Delta Pre stereo preamp driving the B&W 800 D3 before and sonically those new Classe Delta series gears are definitely much improved over their Delta series prodecessors and a class of its own, and sonically are bought closer to that of the long discontinued Omega Reference series amps & preamps or perhaps even better than the long discontinued Omega Reference series gears.
but the retail prices of these newly revamped Delta series gears have also gone up substantially compared to the previous Delta series gears.