View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 02:06 PM

Default Gonna be a long day

Things just fell into place with one exception, so gonna be a long day today. My new Everest is due for delivery, along with a Furutech NCF Booster to fix a powercord that needs some support at the wall socket. A couple of custom sized acoustic panels arrived yesterday along with some cable support blocks I need as well.

The Everest replaces a Denali in the rack, so that comes out, and the Upsampler moves from above the DAC to where the Denali used to reside. So, while not a total system dismantling, damn close.

In the meantime I modified the tapered end tables that will sit between the rack and speakers. The Everest will be on one of these; since it is so close to the speaker, I lined the inside of the top of the tables (it is a big cavity) with several layers of automotive sound proofing material. I also affixed some custom made acoustic panels to the rear of the tables to act as a bass trap, as well as close off the view I used to have straight thru the table to the wall behind it.

I also got cable risers to address cable management while the system is being reconstructed. These are a budget solution (cheap) that I’ll use where I can, and I’ll go for more expensive solutions when I need to. I added the cup hooks to one as a prototype to provide anchors for rubber bands to stretch over the cable to anchor it in place. It was nice to find them monogrammed just for me...

The exception is the maple platform I’m having made to match the tapered footprint of the table on which the Everest will set isn’t here. So I can hook everything back up today and be up and running again, but I’d have to disconnect all the power when the platform arrives, then hook it all back up again. Or I could wait until the platform arrives to hook it all back up.

I woulda been a doctor but I didn’t have the patience - I’ll hook it all back up today. Not even a close call...

Slainte,

Mitch