View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Serge,

I share some of your points.
High end gear is way overpriced. We do agree.
But my experience is that stunning preamps are very rare. They are just very tough to design and build.
Power amps ? I could be more impressed by a 2k power amp than a 20k one. It happened to me more than once.
Not true for preamps. If you can find me a preamp that sounds as good as the Gat at a fraction of the price, then I will sell the Gat without any hesitation.
Jerome, just as one example listen to Convergent Audio Technology if you find one. I don't care if its the one from the early 90's or the more modern SL1 Renaissance version.

There is a whole bunch more "toobage" going on under the hood of a CAT and it is just as resolving but musical as anything that I imagine CJ can come up with considering there is only a pair of 6922 and a sprinkle of Teflon caps and not much else in the GAT2 for which you must shell out $24k new. There is only so many ways you can skin that sonic cat with a pair of 6922, nothing revolutionary going on here.

The CAT never cost nearly as much. $7950 for the Renaissance version I believe when it was sold new.

GAT2

CAT SL1 Renaissance.