Thread: 1060 vs 2060
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 10:12 PM

The M3s are fairly sensitive @91db, but have a nominal impedance of only 4ohms. I have not seen any measurements published, it would be interesting to see what the minimum impedance dips down to and the phase to see if the M3 presents a difficult load for an amp to drive.

I own 1050 and 1060 amps, and can tell you there is a substantial difference. I have spent some time with 2160 driving focal Stella, it is a phenomenal amp. The 2150 is literally twice as much amp, but for the price of a pair of 2150 I think I would stretch a bit further and go 3060.

What preamp and sources will you use? The 2160 is extremely neutral, and will pair well with almost anything, but in my experience really shines when used with a tube preamp such as audio research or VAC. The tubed add just a touch of warmth that really appeals to me.

You can order the 2160 in 110V or 220V -- I highly recommend 220V if you can accommodate it. You will definitely want a dedicated line, two if you go with 2150 monos.

Boulder makes incredible gear, if you audition a boulder amp and something is off i would tend to look at the upstream gear and cabling before calling out the amp. It is truly neutral, letting you hear the effect of the other components without adding any character of its own.