View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 05:26 AM

I believe it is almost impossible to design a power supply that does not benefit from extremely pure power and yes this means top quality power conditioners and cords. With my Niagara 7000 I get isolation transformers for every source. With my dedicated Niagara 5000 to each power amp and Dragon power cords I get a high current power reservoir of 90 amps. But it doesn't stop there: even your sources need a dedicated 20 amp line with no power amps plugged in so that you have one conditioner dedicated for your sources apart from your amps.The only amp I would not use conditioning with would be a Relentless but I would use the highest quality power cord and pay great attention to my line and to my wall outlets that would be of the very highest quality. Unfortunately, whatever conditioner you decide to use if it is well designed, it will very significantly improve your sound. Good sound begins at the light pole. When I installed my Transguard Tg60 whole house surge protector meant to stop the lightning if it hit the power line, the first time I turned my system on it was like a veil had been removed that I didn't know was there. I went downstairs and got the OM out and there it was: the Tg60 had very significant filtering that I was unaware of. You want to begin with the cleanest power possible going into your conditioner. This optimizes it and allows it to do its best in providing your component with the cleanest and best current possible. In the case of sources an isolation transformer for each source is the ultimate and for each amp a dedicated (no sources) conditioner with a 20 amp line and current reservoir is the ultimate. Any hum or hiss at all indicates you have a problem. That's why I use fully balanced equipment and no equalization or tone controls. On the forums in general there are many discussions about DAC's etc. folks going to tremendous expense to get the best "one" when the issue is actually dirty power going into the power supply.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 04-12-2019 at 05:41 AM.