View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Default BDA-2 Arrived today!

I'm pretty excited. My BDA-2 arrived via FedEx today. And while I haven't done nearly enough critical listening to offer a detailed review yet, my initial reactions are very positive. I can tell you one thing: Since switching from my Anthem MRX500 and Oppo 93 to my current setup, I'm finally realizing how good redbook CD's can sound with the right equipment.

As I'm testing the Bryston, my current setup has my Oppo-105D feeding the Bryston via Optical output, and my Sooloos MC200 (on loan) feeding the BDA-2 via digital coax. From the Bryston I'm going balanced out (XLR-WW Silver) to the AUX1 XLR input on the MX121. MX121 goes via XLR to MC205 and then on to my Focal 948's. This also allows me to keep the unbalanced analog outs of the Oppo and Sooloos connected to add'l inputs on the MX121 to compare the internal DACs versus the Bryston.

Initial thoughts are the vocals are a little more coherent and stable in their placement in the sound stage. Bass lines appear to have a little more detail, in that I perceive that I can hear some additional detail in the resonance of a bass note from an electric bass.

As I listen more critically (work is getting in the way of fun) I'll report back with more findings. Anyone with BDA-2 experience I'd love to hear what your reactions have been so far.

Steve
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds