View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 10:47 PM

I got a chance to beta test. My opinions below from ps audio site

Hey all … all of the comments seem spot on … So here are mine as I had an opportunity to really sit down last night…

High level impressions:
One word that kept popping in my head: Vocals. outstanding - more up front in a good way - more holographic.
Soundstage: Deeper / wider… Everything sits in its place - across and beyond. Drums and other instruments are back creating depth - and all are nicely placed/not crowded.
Bass: Seems deeper to me / more detailed / no one note bass here. This seems deeper than RedCloud with more clarity in the lower mids - and since everything seems less congested - we get more inner detail and hear more into the music.
High end: Little did I know that RedCloud sounded a little more ‘etchy’ on the top… Snowmass makes the highs clearer without any etch.
More Nuance - I think Elk said ‘elegant’? But - yes I agree… Nothing in your face - just beautiful music with wonderful shades and textures…

I have Maggie 20.7s to give you reference of the ‘type’ of sound I like - big/open/spacious/holographic/mega soundstage… And this release of Snowmass really seems to fit in my wheelhouse… Huge Thumbs up to Ted/Darren/Paul - and anyone else that had input into this release.

So as one of the posters above - I too took the White Album for a spin - side 2 as well as some of side 4 - the 48/24 release awhile back from the apple stick. Except - I felt like I was transported to Abby Road Studios… The detail/bass/beautiful sound stage etc… that pop with Snowmass are impressive. When listening to a new release - I try to categorize it with one word… on Snowmass - the word that kept popping over and over was ‘Vocals’. The vocals are so 3D - as someone said earlier -I think a bit more forward giving more depth - with the drumkit etc now farther back in the stage… It is incredible. The bass - as I had asked about earlier - yes - cleaner/ more detailed - and I think deeper. I found image specificity to be better than redcloud because of this.

The details: Yes - more detailed - but not in a ‘digital way’ - just hearing deeper into the music is what I mean. In ‘Piggies’ - the harpsichord - and when the string section (particularly the cello/bass) come in - it is pretty special. All of the vocals - more holographic - more solid - any recording that I ‘thought??’ had a thin-ness to the voice no longer did. I used side 2 of Abby Road as well … and well - then had to listed to side 1 as well … :slight_smile: … Simply tremendous…

This went on and on with Jazz/Classical/other rock … 2xDSD-DSD- 48/24 - 96/24-44/16 …. It just didn’t matter. Everything sounded great. CD quality - right now I’m not sure if I really need anything better? :slight_smile: and I have a ton of hi-rez… Its just the apple lossless rips of a bunch of CDs just sound so great right now… But the audiophile in me will always grab the hi rez versions… to ease my anxiety…but probably nothing else.

The upload - worked fine as always – I took a shot at a 16Gb SD card - new - worked fine.

No pops or clicks … Did get the fade in on some tracks… Never when I am playing an album from the start… but I am really not sure if that is my JRiver doing this or not …

I am not a ‘video’ guy as I always keep my screen off… Whats the point in a dark room?

Incredible as always … Great Job Ted…