View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 10:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Harbeth 30.2 in-room measurements with REW 5.20

Got my new Dayton NIST-traceable calibration USB mic today from MiniDSP today. Only $89. Measurements are now easier as I don’t need to use the M-Audio mic preamp anymore, just plug in to a USB port and go.

With that, I decided to do some in-room measurements of my Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniv speakers using REW 5.20. The responses were based on where I had previously set the controls my REL R-305 to integrate with my larger Dynaudio Contour S3.4s back in the day, so the sub has not been "optimized" for the 'Beth. I just plugged in the mic, attached the output cables and measured both the L and R channels from one of my reference listening positions (the quasi-nearfield equilateral triangle listening position). The mic was set at 90° (vertical) and the height was at my ear level. All measurements of positions of the speakers to the front wall, toe-in, and mic positions were measured using a laser tape measure. The 90° mic calibration file was used as the reference mic file. Target SPL was 74 dB, which is about as loud as I ever listen.

Shown here are the individual left and right Harbeth 30.2 frequency response plots in REW, using 1/3 octave smoothing. Red is the right channel, Green is the Left channel.

This plot depicts the L and R channels "averaged" in REW. Still using 1/3 octave smoothing.

Overall, not bad. I'll likely go back and tweak the settings on the sub a bit, but pretty pleased with how close this is out of the box, so to speak.

Overall, the 'Beths are pretty smooth across the board.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.