View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 01:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I find the best use of Stillpoints to be component or application-specific but they are not the best footer for all components or devices in all applications. In my experience with them, they work best under components that are fairly "lightly-damped" with fairly thin steel chassis. They are effective for providing mechanical grounding onto dense wood platforms e.g. rock maple or bamboo. My old C-J CT-5 preamp would be a good example of a component of this type. I'm presently using them to best effect under my SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo network bridge. For my now-sold Schiit Gungnir DAC, the A/V Roomservice EVPs were a much better footer, or most effectively, under my REL sub, where the EVPs work very well indeed, particularly in isolating and quieting down the room itself from the energy imparted into the floor by the sub.

Another footer that should not be dismissed are the Herbie's Audio Labs Tenderfoot. These are inexpensive but very effective under a range of components, and are particularly useful under smaller, lighter components e.g. UpTone EtherREGEN, the UpTone LPS-1.2 LPS, and the Keces P3 LPS.

Under the Constellation Inspiration integrated amp, the Stillponts make it sound "thinner and harder"; here the HRS Nimbus couplers and spacers work the best by far. Under the Shunyata Everest power distributor, the Shunyata SSF-50 footers work the best.

So...in my experience, the best and most effective footers are very much appliciation/device-specific. There's no single solution that works best for everything.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-06-2022 at 02:03 PM.