View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown7 View Post
When using my Accuphase P-1000 amp with C-275V preamp, I've always questioned whether or not to use balanced vs. single ended cables. To my understanding, neither the P-1000 or C-275V are truly balanced designs. (someone correct me if I'm mistaken). With this in mind, it seems using RCA cables would make for the most direct signal path and better sound quality. Curious as to you guy's thoughts before I invest in more cables.

None of my sources are Accuphase, so they are the standard XLR pinout design used with gear here in USA. I currently have been using balanced cables throughtout and select "invert phase" on the preamp. Maybe going to nice single ended cables throughout would be the better option?
C-275V: the input and output circuits are balanced, the potentiometer is not.
XLR polarity is inversed (2=inverted, 3= non inverted).
When using non Accuphase sources you can select the output phase of the C-275V. However the audible effect might be very small or even imperceptible.

P-1000: the input and driver stages are balanced, the output stage is not (just push-pull).

IMHO the sound quality is more convincing with balanced cables, provided the cables are absolute top notch.

Try to get some demo cables from a dealer and compare for yourself.

Martin