View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 12:15 AM

Default Digital dillemma for me

I have expensive CD players and a somewhat cheaper Turntable. CD players are Esoteric K01x, and Simaudio Andromeda. 'Table is 1988 Linn LP12 Ittok, Shure V15 type V MR--cheap I know.

Recently LP12 tuned up but no upgrades. LP12 is somewhat superior to my CD players. Esoteric K01x is supposed to be a digital high point as of 2017 or 2016. The CD playera are engaging, but not to the level of analog.

My problem is even if I get a Rossini APEX to go with Esoteric K01x as transport (It has clock inputs) I dont know if that will even equal my turntable. I suppose when I have the required $41000 for the Rossini APEX and clock I can try it out. Many months to save that amount. Quite a price to pay for digital.

The Linn can be upgraded. About 4 years ago I heard a full Vivaldi setup (over $100k) (vs the Clearadio mentioned here) and it was not be as nice as a top Clearaudio turntable setup ($80k). Vivaldi great but just a touch more zingy than the turntable, Clearaudio nice and laid back.

Real choral and symphonic music is accurate and clear as a bell.

Assuming I have the patience to deal with record turnovers and scratchiness, should I give up on upgrading digital and upgrade the Linn or a better table like Air Force or Clearaudio Innovation? Ive spend over $50k on digital over the years and $2500 over the years on analog turntables. Experience leans toward analog, not an answer I really wanted. Because I thought digital would improve much more than it actually has.

It is true that CD sounds nice as long as I dont compare it to vinyl. And CD discs are cheaper than vinyl now.

Apologies as it does not really answer OP question but I did not know where to post this.

Bill