View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Just received my 2nd pair of Black Dragons. This time for the Focal Utopia. 10FT with Furutech XLR termination. Yikes! Liquid midrange, blacker background, lower noise floor allowing for an even deeper listening and holy cow, did I mention the LIQUID midrange? These are seriously good straight out of the box...
Moon Audio makes nice cables and I’ve owned or tried all 3 Dragons. However, I’ve moved on and found cables that I like better from Norne, Double Helix, and Wywires. When I bought my Utopia, I bought the Black Dragon and the Wywires Platinum both in a balanced configuration. I ended up returning the BD. Both were good but the Wywires provided a larger soundstage and more precise imaging without any added brightness. The downside is that Wywires Platinum cable is more expensive.

I also had the BD hardwired by Drew for my T1 and a BD speaker amp cable for my HiFiMan HE6 and they sounded excellent. In both cases, the BD did a great job of taming bright sounding headphones. On the other hand, the Silver Dragon is just not my cup of tea. I tried it years ago when I wanted to to make the LCD 2 more lively sounding but it actually went too far and made a dark sounding headphone way too bright. I owned the Blue Dragon for many years for my HD650 and it’s a good all around medium priced cable. Drew does high quality work and I’ve never had a problem returning one of his cables if it didn’t work out for me.