Thread: 301 Still Out
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 06:22 AM
Semi-audiophile

It's official. I'm exploring the Marantz PM-KI Ruby SACD player as a possible replacement for my MCD500, or even the SA-10, if I found a tremendous deal. This is because I'm not a fan of the ESS Sabre DAC.

Whether or not I do this depends, in great measure, on what happens with my purchase of a new TV. It's a 55" Sony A9G, but I've never seen one showing standard definition. Being in a hurry because I had some days off, I went to the dealer's showroom and evaluated Sony's new A8H at 65" since it uses the same video processor (A9Gs won't be on display for another week or so, as the store was out). Using one of my go-to evaluation DVDs, the picture wasn't good, frankly; the A8H was out of the box and, unlike the Master Series A9G, isn't pre-calibrated by Sony before shipping, nor had the store done its calibrations. I ordered and paid for the 55" A9G anyway, having been stunned by the 65" set last year at Best Buy (but that was with 4K content), and had some buyer's remorse the next day, since the bulk of my video library is DVDs. I called the store to discuss things.

I will be notified when the A9G is on display, and I will head back to the store with several DVDs in order to evaluate the A9G more properly. If I like its performance with SD material, the purchase will stand; I may even go for the 65" one. But if not, I'm thinking to pivot to some Salamander racks or, now, a Marantz SACD player. The store is an authorized Marantz dealer so the money already paid could go toward the new player. Parenthetically, the new Marantz Model 30 components were on display and are gorgeous.

Another option is to try a trade-in with the MCD500 to Audio Classics (where I got it) for a Ruby, which might be close to a straight-up exchange given the Ruby's price. So my wheels are turning, again. I've even pulled out the February TAS to re-read the review of the Ruby.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks