View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Hey CJinSC,

Still loving the LP140s. Every now and then I haul out the Premier 350 to see if somehow all that power sounds better. Always go back to the LP140s, those monos are just terrific sounding. As to the ART monos, I now live in Sarasota, Florida where the warmth of all those tubes is less desirable, so not tempted. The sound would be a tiny bit better but have all the power I need now. A dedicated line is a good thing but it is not likely to cure your issue. Pardon this technical description but the issue is the difference in ground potential between the individual component chassis. All circuits lead to ground inside, but there is no central ground so they all lead to the chassis. (not the casework as that could lead to trouble from human contact) When you connect then together with ICs theres a voltage difference and current flows between them. A ground loop. "Lifting the grounds" with a cheater plug cuts off the differential but arguably adds an element of electrocution risk if something were to short to the chassis, especially in tube equipment with high plate voltages, so be cautious with small children, pets and yourself. That said, the ground has always been lifted on my monos with no ill effect thus far. Seems to me a cheater on the GAT would be far less risky than on the big power amps... so there's that. I may give that a try also. Have a good trip to the store.. the plugs are cheap enough.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer

Last edited by Coppy; 08-20-2015 at 07:40 PM.