View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Your goal is to determine what components, upstream from the amps, are causing the ground loop hum. It will have nothing to do with the speaker cables, this is a power disfunction issue. If there's no hum with the amps on and nothing on the inputs, plug in the preamp and turn it on. if there's hum, put a cheater plug on the preamp. Then on to the CD player. In my case with a similar setup, i use cheater plugs on the mono blocks and an FM tuner... cures all hum. Good luck with the headache. You will find the solution. Bob
This morning the hum level is back up to the previous annoying levels. CJ told me to get some cheater plugs and try one first on the GAT to see if this eliminates the hum. If not, put another one on one monoblock, see if this kills hum. If not, will need another cheater plug on the CD player. Long term I need to get an electrician to wire a dedicated 15-20 amp circuit for the stereo.

On to the hardware store tomorrow. Thanks Bob! Are you still enjoying the LP 140's or have you been tempted to move up to the ART's with good demo prices popping up periodically?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
conrad-johnson GAT, conrad-johnson LP140 monoblocks, McCormack SST-1 transport, SMc Audio Ultra DAC, Dynaudio Consequence C-1 mkii, Magnan Signature IC, Digital & speaker cables, Acoustic Zen Absolute Copper IC, Harmonic Technology Magic Link II IC, Timbernation custom audio rack with solid 3" walnut shelves