View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Nolag View Post
I've had 3 Mac preamps a C712, a C220 and a C47. To me they all sounded more or less the same but the C712 and the C47 had much less noise. The C220 hissed pretty badly but the C712 and C47 were very quiet. In retrospect it could be that my C220 had bad tubes since it was a dealer display and I have no idea how many hours were on it. Regardless I really don't think there's a huge difference in the sound between various McIntosh preamps. That said I do kinda miss the C220 and I'm seriously considering replacing my C47 with either a C22, C2300/C2500/C2600/C2700 or one of the new C8s.
Peter, I agree. I owned a C1000 SS. In the Stereophile review the remark was made how similar the tube pre and SS pre sounded. The tube pre was more warm and relaxed.

Mac pre's have a neutral sound. The difference in Mac pre's becomes apparent as you upgrade to better sources, amps, and speakers. Many like to drop a piece into their system and get "blown away". Many times their ancillary gear is mediocre and 6mo to a year later they are looking for that next "blown away" experience with another piece of gear.

Nothing wrong with that. It's what scratches your itch that counts. Folks are always looking to improve their sound. I want folks to enjoy their systems but just remember, folks may not provide follow up, and what works in their system may not improve yours.

That's why I like sound signatures. Mine are Wilson, AQ, and Mac. Are their better and much more expensive gear available? Of course. But I like to stay within my sound signatures while trying to improve my system. If I had gone hog wild with amplification and digital sources, I would not have been able to afford my speakers. Almost no one has an unlimited budget. I think Wilson the best speaker manufacturer in the world. I think Mac and AQ are competitive with the best and relatively inexpensive. Have a long term plan for improvement and wait until that special piece of gear comes out that you really want. Meanwhile, enjoy the music.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 09-30-2020 at 02:18 PM.