Thread: Journey
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11d View Post
My next step was falling into the black hole of seeking and trying to learn about every component and option. I can share I got hung up on tons of specs, reviews, and details that I have no way of knowing if they in the end matter. I learned that it was really hard to buy this stuff through internet research alone. At some point too much information is as bad as not enough information.
Most audio reviewers have, sadly, lost the plot. But there are still a few with something interesting to say every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11d View Post
Shindo Masetto (pre)
Shindo Montille CV391 (amp)
Well Tempered Versalex (tt)
EMT moving coil cartridge
Auditorium 23 cables

I will pair all of this with Living Voice IBX-RWs
I took a quick look at the specs on those Living Voice. They are 94db @ 6R nominal. Shindo amplifiers are designed for speakers of 8R and higher (though something like the low-impedance 755 will also work). From experience, 6 ohm speakers generally do not do well with Shindo. Not only will the "voicing" of the amp be off, but tube life will suffer. Please read through some of the other threads in this forum for more information.

I would suggest you consider a different set of speakers to get the best out of the Shindo stack. Obvious candidates are vintage WE/Altecs, A23 speakers, and Shindo speakers. Given your budget, I would seriously consider one of the A23 offerings, which are specifically voiced around Shindo, yet, for whatever reason, seem to fall under the radar here.

If you want to stick with the Living Voice, I think the only Shindo amplifier that makes sense is the CCQ, which, is my understanding, was designed for modern (i.e., low-impedance/complex crossover) speakers.

Assuming you go the non-Living Voice route, then your amp options are wide open, and I would also consider listening to the 6v6 Montille, the Cortese, and others before settling on which one you like. All wonderfully musical, yet slightly different.

Hope this helps.