View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I'm beginning to think I may not be a tube amp guy, because the Classic 60s (both) were definitely not 'punchy' enough for me, even though they both had a wonderful sound stage. The ET250S definitely sounded like a powerful amp, which it is, even though it lacks the dimensionality of the valve amps. If the LP70s sounds a lot like the Classic 60 SE, which I think it might, it may not be right for me. However, it's a pretty big jump in price to the ET250s from the Classics. I think the LPS70 is also cheaper on the used market than the ET-250, or at least more abundant. I think I need to audition an LPS70 against an ET250S to make up my mind. In advance, I know its a somewhat apples to oranges comparison.
I did not want to spoil this discussion but I did sell the LP-70S and found a Premier 350. All I can say is woof! IT does it all very nicely. THe trade off between SS and tubes with this amp is not that great. A winner if you can find a used one. I am powering a very tough load with my speakers and it handles them easily.

Good Luck