View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 05:25 PM

As a 1st Generation Canterbury owner- I auditioned the Kensington SE- but preferred the Canterbury's, the two 15" Drivers energised my room.

Still, the Kensington are mighty fine speakers & if I had a smaller room, would have been more than happy with them.

Also, look at the Tannoy Super tweeters (I'm in the process of writing a review to post here). A must have IMHO.

If budget is stretched, buy an earlier generation Canterbury. As stated, mine are 1st Generation- The Canterbury 15, then comes the Canterbury HE, then the SE, and finally the GR.

I've only listened to 2 of the Generations: my 1st Generation against the 3rd Generation SE- and the differences were nominal- Cabinetry is identical.

Yes, the SE was ever so slightly tighter & more dynamic than my 15, but not 'night & day'. The addition of the ST100 Super Tweeter seemed to bring my 1st Generation right up to SE standard.

I have be told by 2 people whose ears I trust (both are SE owners), that the GR, with has a very different cone material composition compared to the 3 earlier generations, is voiced differently- one friend preferred it, one didn't- so personal taste comes into this.

Me, if I had the budget, I would go for the new GR, but my wallet wasn't that deep, & I'm very happy with my 1st Generation Canterbury's which cost less than a fifth of the new GR's (including shipping from Japan plus Goods & Services Tax) and mine are in mint condition.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cant.jpg (99.2 KB, 423 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 02-09-2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: enlarge photo.