View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHW View Post
Hi All, I have question for those of you much more up wth the whole HT thing than me ( ie probably everyone) I'm putting together a HT but wanting to incorporate 2 channel as this will be used most of the time. I'm planning on getting a reciever with pre-outs, going from the main outs into a Linn Majik Dsm hdmi which can apparently have one of the inputs selected for HT bypass? this will go to my main amp(s) yet tbd but something to drive some newly aquired Wilson Sasha's. My idea was a sort of " cake and eat it to " by having everything bar the Linn, amp(s) and sub switch off for two channel then everything else switch on and use the lfe out to power the sub which is a Martin Logan Depth i with capability for using more than one input. This will all be controlled by Control4 automation so there's no problem with switching etc to achieve this. The thing I can't work out is the conflict with lfe and another input on the sub if the Linn is being used in both systems? When in 2 channel this will be no prob but when in HT both the lfe and rca or speaker input will recieve signals so surely will cause a problem ? any ideas how to get around this or will I be forced to just not use the sub for 2 channel listening? any suggestions would be most welcome. I haven't decided on the other equipment yet relating to the HT bar the screen will be screen innovations. cheers for any suggestions how to make this frankenstein system work !
GHW,

Technically, when you set your front speakers to Large on your processor/receiver, an L/R output as well as the sub output will be channeled to the L/R. So if you had your subs on stereo, using this method is fine.

What's the point of subwoofers then? Well, subwoofers allow you correct placement of satellite speakers, and an optimum position (you know the one where you place your sub on your listening position and walk around the room to listen for the best response? Or the one where you go on all fours and crawl around crap?) placement of subwoofer since it is detached from the speaker (this is the actual intent for setting small subwoofers on the receiver/ processor). Since you are doing the reverse, putting sub to join with the speaker, it's fine to use Large speaker settings in the speaker configuration.

If you are thinking of double connection, you should set the front speakers to Small, and join another connection to the sub from the processor/ receiver.

To me, since now you know the function of the Large speaker setting, you now know running extra cables are for duplicate functions.

With that said, I always prefer 2 subs for non-localization of low frequencies, and for even distribution throughout the room. Not for the sake of SPL.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado