View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 06:17 AM

Default Focal Sopra No. II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
The Lost Bears.......Hopefully you will return for a future audition after break-in with a few CD's or LP's you are intimately familiar with. I would be interested in your impressions.

The Focal Sopra n°2 has a good sensitivity at 91dB with an 8 ohm impedance. It should be relatively amplifier friendly to a wide selection of integrated amplifiers and separates.
Hi Dan,

Don't know if you got a chance to read the review in Hi-Fi News' September edition. They measured the Sopra No. II's sensitivity at 88.2dB & with an actual minimum impedence of 2.6 Ohms at 104Hz.

Listening to a bit-perfect rip of Mike Valentine's superbly recorded compilation Chasing the Dragon demo disc, heard them at the end of some higher-end Linn(Klimax DSM, Klimax Chakra Twin) & Naim(NDS/555PS DR, NAC252/SuperCap, NAP300 DR/300 PS DR) electronics. And was able to carry out a side-by-side comparison with some well run-in & warmed-up B&W 804DIII's & PMC Fact 12's.

In a demo-room that pretty well approximated the size, configuration of doors & windows & ambient acoustics of my own, this is the first time i can recall hearing Focal speakers sing when partnered by Linn & especially Naim electronics.

While revealing of up-stream electronics - especially sources, they seemed airier, more open & silkier in the upper ranges, with a natural subtle warmth in the mid-range & slightly better integrated from top to bottom & extended in the lower registers, than the comparatively brighter & leaner B&W's & drier PMC's.

Needless to say. To get best out of the Focal Sopra No. II's they really ought to be fed by quality sources & amplifiers.

Even though they're somewhat dearer than the Focal's, i intend to hear them beside the B&W 803DIII's or perhaps even the 802DIII's as they would provide a fairer comparison. That's how good they are.

Regards.

Bobby.

Last edited by Babur72; 12-22-2015 at 09:57 AM.