View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 07:54 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
George..... Please forgive my ignorance, but I've been living in a blue glow for decades. Is "ARC" the same as Audio Research?

I just looked over some photos of the Audio Research REF160S stereo amp, which is what I assume you use, and it looks very nice.
Yes, ARC is Audio Research Company. One of the classic “great” combinations in audio is Sonus Faber, Audio Research, and Transparent. I got to the system over decades, where I independently found each company and then upgraded or added components until I got here. My first really good preamp was an Audio Research. They have always pursued the path parallel to my taste in presentation. Then 25 years ago I got a ARC Phonostage, and upgraded many times to now. I first heard the REF 160m when it came out and was completely captivated... and said, “as soon as the REF160s comes out I will buy one.” It has been the amp I have been waiting for all my life.

A word of caution. The lower end Sonus sometimes don’t compare as well with some of the competition. The Olympica and up are excellent and beautiful speakers holding their own against all competition. I have owned Cremona, Olympica, and now Amati. I got the Cremona to test the hypothesis that this was the company’s speakers I wanted to own. I then bought the Olympica 3 sight unseen from the first boatload and was supremely happy since then. Well, of course until the Amati... incredible speakers. Also, purchased sight unseen.

I heard Transparent cables in a half million dollar system thirty or so years ago and was struck. I bought a pair, but my equipment wasn’t good enough for them. Then 20 years ago after a system upgrade, suddenly my system was of sufficient quality and they found themselves in my system... and I upgraded and widened their use until now every thing is Transparent Ultra Generation 5.

So I came to the ARC, SF, Transparent completely independent of the rule of thumb, probably created by dealers having access to lots of different equipment and finding them synergistic. One can posit alternative hypothesis since ARC and SF used to be jointly owned with MacIntosh, or if you are into conspiracy theories other alternatives.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 03-29-2021 at 08:18 PM.