View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 07:14 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
George Prentice..... Your 5.1 speaker setup is very interesting to me. We, too, own a pair of N805s that we use as rears, and we've always enjoyed them very much, as well.

I see that you own some Sonus Faber speakers. How do you like them versus the B&Ws that I assume you've at least rehearsed in the past?
I enjoy the B&W speakers for our home theater. They are great speakers... but not for my audio system, they are very different. I can’t say I have ever been attracted to the B&W for my audio system (although I had 2 B&W 800 series subwoofers until recently, we still have 2 in the home theater). I have never swapped them to listen to them in my audio system. But over the decades I have heard a lot of systems. Just at a high level, if I really liked rock music and that was my focus I would consider B&W. I mostly listen to jazz, world, blues, electronic, classical, and rock so the overall balance, and coherency goes hands down to Sonus, particularly the current generation.

My audio guy just got in a set of new 800’s. He wants me to come down and listen to them, for fun... he knows I will have no interest in buying them but they do something no other speaker does. He and I have similar tastes and he wants me to enjoy sampling what they do best... kick ass. The classic combo is McIntosh and B&W for rocking speakers with great mid range and kick. The other camp is Sonus / Audio Research for balance, detail, midrange bloom and musicality ( I am not saying the lack bass). I guess there is also the Wilson camp. Of course there are lots of other sounds.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 03-28-2021 at 07:18 PM.