View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
You are right about Qobuz in Canada, it sucks to not have it. How relevant MQA is in the final sound reproduction, I don't know. I do know that it would be nice to have it implemented in the BDA-3 as I could subscribe to Tidal Master. I am on my first month of trial and when streaming I am limited to CD quality.
I understand Bryston not wanting to redesign their DACs with hardware support for MQA second unfold (the extra blue light trick) and paying a licensing fee for every unit shipped.

I was more curious about the first unfold which happens in software such as Roon or the Tidal app on a USB connected laptop (which you can try with any DAC). If this could be added to the BDP software for no extra cost I think they might as well, since we are stuck using the Tidal service anyway.

I mean what happens if you don’t have that first level and accidentally click on a Master file? From what I read playback of an MQA stream as regular 16/44 is what does the most damage, resulting in loss of bits and sub-CD quality.

Quote:
On the other end, I am also evaluating AmazonMusic which also has hi-res streaming but no MQA (AFAIK, correct me in I am wrong).
The Amazon service is pure hi-res (no MQA) but the BDP doesn’t support it and I refuse to give more money to THAT company!