View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
I'm in the market for a CD transport and am currently using a Wadia 571 which is on loan from my dealer. It's performing admirably and I have no complaints.

When I started thinking about the cost of the 571 I realized that for a few dollars more I could get an Esoteric K-03 and use its digital output to my DAC for CDs while at the same time gaining SACD playback.

I understand that as an SACD player the K-03 is outstanding, but I've read some comments that its redbook performance isn't on the same level. I vaguely remember reading a comment or review in which someone tested the K-03's digital output when playing a CD and ended up with performance similar to playback through the unit's internal DAC. Any truth to this or am I imagining it?

In other words is there a fundamental problem with the transport and supporting circuitry in the K-03 when it comes to redbook performance? Any potential issues with using the K-03 primarily as a transport?
AMP.......If you have not read my review http://www.audioaficionado.org/esote...h-mcd1100.html, you may gain some insight into its redbook CD playback qualities. The redbook playback of the K-03 is exceptional, even compared to the McIntosh MCD1100. It would be accurate to say redbook does not equal the K-03's SACD playback, but then redbook (PCM) is not SACD (DSD) is it?

Why anyone would want to use the Esoteric K-03 as a transport only is a complete mystery to me. The eight AKM 4399 DAC’s in the K-03 produce astonishing lifelike sound, be it redbook, SACD, hi-res from a music server or hi-res via USB. There is no fundamental problem with Esoteric's newest VRDS-NEO VMK-3.5-10 transport, either. I'm not sure what information is triggering your doubt, but my experience with the K-03 has been nothing short of phenomenal.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 02-25-2013 at 12:00 AM.