View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
My point being there cable allows you use the Oppo as a SACD transport to the DirectStream dac

The HDMI connector on the DS DAC and DS Mem Transport is merely using HDMI as a connector. The protocol is I2S and there is an encryption protocol between the transport and player which allows them to send DSD using the DOP format over the I2S protocol.

The Oppo HDMI output conforms to the standard HDMI protocol.

I know. Quite a mouthful.

But years before PS Audio even conceived of the DS memory transport, I recall Ted experimented with a third party board - VanityPraise? Or something which was installed in an Oppo player (103 if I recall correctly)

It MODIFIED the Oppo’s HDMI output to split audio and video. Then if it encountered DSD it would package the DSD IN DOP Format and sent it out via a coax output (not the coax normally found on the Oppo). In fact it had 3 coax output to support multichannel 5.1 PCM or DSD.

THIS was the basis of the memory transport with some modified digital lens circuit added.