Thread: ARC Ref 160S
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 09:35 PM
George

I do not have Maggie’s… I have auditioned them innumerable times over the last 50 years. I used to be a planar guy. I have come so close, so many times, and never committed. But I do have a ARC REF 6SE, REF 160s, a REF 3 phono stage and a REF CD9se DAC… I definitely recommend the REF 160s. I am sorry to say this, but if that combination doesn’t sound like the best system in every way… swap out the Maggie’s. Although, I doubt this is likely.

Here is the thing… each piece of ARC REF that I put into my system (I had an ARC phono stage for thirty five years, preamp for thirty years)… the synergy was amazing. Step by step everything got more musical.

I mentioned I was a planar guy for close to forty years. I started going to the symphony… and suddenly turned from planar…. And remembered hearing Sonus Faber… which I bought, upgraded, upgraded… then all Audio Research took over… and I am now so completely amazed every day… right now as a matter of fact how incredible my system sounds. I used to be amazed at the detail, imaging, slam…. Now I just get lost in the music. Analog or digital, sound basically the same… music, not a system, not detail or slam. Just an emotional connection with the music.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 01-22-2022 at 09:39 PM.