View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 08:08 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
There seem to be some myths about tubes in this thread.
Perhaps it has to do with one's definition of "all the time........"...
Absolutely, as is commonly the case. It varies from one design to the next. However, from my experience: I had a audio buddy with a tube amp that did require a quick biasing each time... and / or he was anal about it. Also, a friend of mine bought a Rouge tube amp on my recommendation and a tube “blew up” taking out a few resistors... although it was under warranty (like two weeks old) the owner argued that wasn’t under warranty because a tube caused it. Rogue was new then, I am sure he got his act together now and would not challenge a customer today for this kind of issue. But I was really embarrassed having recommended it, then it ending poorly. None of this has ever happened to me with a solid state. It does’t matter if it is occasional or a minor thing... it is enough to have people shy away from a particular design. I have been very happy having, for instance, my Pass amp for nearly 20 years and not once having to do anything to it other than turn it off and on. I am absolutely sure I could have kept it for another 20 years and never have to change a tube or repair it. Solid state has a reputation for reliability and have always lived up to it in my experience, and tube amps have not.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 02-02-2021 at 08:16 PM.