View Single Post
Old 08-14-2021, 08:00 PM

Default Have you listened to the new Heritage Special speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
@robfine
How large is your room?
Have you listened to Confidence 20's?

Copy/paste of my post from another forum - 3-4 weeks ago:

"Finally I got a chance to listen to the Heritage Special's for a few hours.

In short - they are very good speakers for smaller rooms, but pretty far from "Confidence killers" as someone could conclude from meny reviews and opinions online - both professional and user (on forums, FB groups...).

If you ask me - the difference in price is 100% justified.

They sound somewhat "lean" and unbalanced - to me. Yes, the bass is fast, controlled, precise, but it's missing both its body and the texture and that appears to affect the whole frequency range - from the bottom to the top. In some moments during the listening of double bass (e.g. "Ray Brown, John Clayton, Christian McBride - SuperBass" or "The Ray Brown Trio - Summer Wind: Live at the Loa" albums) I got the feeling almost like I was listening to the strings without a wooden body. The resolution is there, the details are there, but the full "body" of a sound is partially missing. And that is not how I felt only for instruments which play (very) low tones - it's pretty similar with other instruments. They are pretty well positioned in the space (although the soundstage depth could be somewhat better), but they are smaller in volume than they should be.

Just to add, that this exact description can be "attached" to many high quaity bookshelf speakes - that is something that I'm missing in sound when I'm listening to them. With Confidence 20's and also Contour 20's I don't have this issue. Of course, Contour 20's have their own drawbacks compared with both Conficence and Heritege, but if you ask me to choose between Heritage and Contour 20 - it's a tough task. Maaaaybe I'm closer to Heritage, because they really have significantly better resolution and transparency, but I wouldn't be too happy. With Confidence 20's - yes, I would be missing my Confidence 50's a lot and also my subs - but I'm sure that after some time I could adapt to their sound and to be pretty happy with them.

Of course, YMMV.

Just to add that the "test" system is pretty decent
Simaudio MOON P-8 preamp
Simaudio MOON W-7M amps
Simaudio MOON 780D v2 DAC / streamer
Métronome DSS streamer
Métronome Le Player 3 CD transport"

I’m not quite sure how to respond to your post because I’m not quite sure what you intended with your post. It’s really not in the nature of what is typically seen here ion AA. If you heard a particular pair of speakers, in this case, Dyn Heritage Specials, and wanted to discuss your observations and experience, good or bad, whatever they may be… more power to you. But that’s not really what you did. You addressed me, asked me about my room size, and asked me if I had listened to the Confidence 20’s. And then, for whatever reason, for whatever internal need in you that needed satisfying, and in so doing you couldn’t even make your comments in first person instead hiding behind the “copy paste from a forum 3-4 weeks ago” and pretty much proceeded to make an unsolicited attack on the speakers I bought and “my experience” with them as I described in this forum. I don’t understand what I wrote in my description of my speakers and experience that would warrant a comment to the effect that they are not “Confidence Killers”. I don’t believe I mentioned the word Confidence once in my posting. You then proceeded to say: “if you ask me, the price difference is 100% justified”. Again, you addressed your post directly to me. I didn’t ask you and I didn’t care when I got them nor do I care now.

I’m not going to waste time on the details of your review because they are not really relevant to me, the person you addressed your comment to, in part for the reasons included in my wrapping up thoughts. You mention that the “test system is pretty decent ”. I got nothing bad to say about Simaudio equipment in general. I’m guessing your making the point that the “test system” , at about 5x the cost of mine I’m guessing is superior to mine justifying your comments as being somehow more “correct” than what I am experiencing. Well, Simaudio Moon is great equipment. Great solid state equipment. I have tube-based amplification. Simaudio is a great DAC. But it is not an R-2R based DAC. Regardless of cost or anything else, fundamentally different operating equipment will cause the same speakers to sound different. So here is my one critique of Simaudio equipment. For whatever reason, for how much you spent — way more than I spent on mine, it apparently lacks the ability to make you happy. No one who has that level of equipment and it is part of a system that can really take advantage of that investment and quality would bother to take the time to write a personal attack/critique of someone he doesn’t even know if he was happy. The only reason I can think of is that I am happy with what I have and said so and why. Nothing you have said indicates that with all that wonderful Simaudio equipment that it brings you any pleasure. My god, you can buy 4 of my speakers or more for the cost of any one of those several components you mentioned in that pretty decent “test system”. Maybe you have a system match problem just looking at cost alone. Maybe the TAD Compact Reference Ones are a more appropriate match for the “test system”. I’ve heard them and they do sound better than my Heritage Specials. Tell you what- you get the TADs, I’ll keep my Dyns. Hopefully you’ll be happier and maybe get a chance to really read the posts on AA and see that the people who frequent this forum show a level of courtesy and respect to each other that you couldn’t manage in your post addressed to me. I harbor no ill-will toward your notwithstanding your post. It’s not worth the energy. But let me say this, instead of taking out whatever frustrations you have with your very costly and very nice system for not bringing you the happiness my much less costly system brings me, on me and others, maybe stick around a bit (but keep the kinds of comments you tossed at me to yourself). There are a lot of really nice people who are really knowledgeable with systems ranging from barely hitting 4 figures to those into 7 figures— and as a rule they would be more than happy to help you with suggestions to help get that lovely Simaudio equipment you say you have to sound in a way that will make you happy. And then your posts will be much more appropriate for AA.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.

Last edited by robfine; 08-14-2021 at 08:32 PM.